Between our two kids we've got apraxia of speech, sensory issues and attention deficit disorder with a side of anxiety, compulsive behaviors and, depending on the week, tics. Things may be complicated in our house but, hey, at least they're unpredictable.

Thursday, September 01, 2005

Kids are Trouble

It was already after 8 this morning as I got ready to step into the shower. I knew we might be late getting Max to school if I didn't hurry it up but I was riveted, listening to his conversation with his father in the next room.

Max: Can I live here when I'm a grown up?
Dave: No, you'll live somewhere else when you're a grown up
Max: I want to live here.
Dave: Well, that depends how many kids you and your wife have. Maybe this house would be too small for you.
Max: I'm not having kids. They get into trouble.

A part of me found this exchange amusing; a bigger part of me worries about Max's self-esteem. Even though his behavior has improved over the last year -- after years of difficulties -- and we're continuing to learn the best ways to deal with his issues, I fear that the only thing he has learned from us is that kids are trouble. Are there so many reprimands in his life that they override the hugs, kisses, words of praise, ice cream, video games and trips to play miniature golf?

I know the kid's only 6 years old and his opinions are subject to change. Just because he's eating grapes today doesn't mean he'll like them tomorrow. His favorite movie changes daily. Still, this exchange with Dave disturbs me a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home