Between our two kids we've got apraxia of speech, sensory issues and attention deficit disorder with a side of anxiety, compulsive behaviors and, depending on the week, tics. Things may be complicated in our house but, hey, at least they're unpredictable.

Friday, September 09, 2005

Less of Me

I head into the extended care room at Ari’s school to pick her up and as I do, I pass one of the teachers. “There’s less of you here,” she says to me. I pause, unsure of how to respond. Yes, I spent all last year beating myself up over the fact that I wasn’t able to be at the school as much for Ari as I was able to do for Max when he was three. When he was three, she was just an infant – I had no other place to be. But when she was three, Max started kindergarten – at another school. I was always dropping her off late or picking her up from extended care. I didn’t really get a chance to know her classmates or hang with the moms or set up playdates the way I was able to for Max. I felt she was getting the short end of the stick and I hated it. I didn’t want the same thing to happen now that she was four and starting a new school year. But today was only Ari’s second day of school – there haven’t been enough school days to say I’ve been around less. And then, the moment of clarification:

“There’s less of Tracey, too,” she said, referring to the extended care teacher who had lost weight over the summer. Ohhhh. She noticed that I had also lost some weight.

I wonder if I’m the only guilt-ridden, overextended, mushy mommy brain mother to interpret a compliment as a reprimand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home