Between our two kids we've got apraxia of speech, sensory issues and attention deficit disorder with a side of anxiety, compulsive behaviors and, depending on the week, tics. Things may be complicated in our house but, hey, at least they're unpredictable.

Saturday, September 10, 2005

My Posse of Ph.D.s

You know you’re the parent of a special needs child when you discover you have a personal relationship with the experts at a medical conference.

I had stumbled upon the AD/HD conference in my area in the local paper and knew I had to go. I checked out the local CHADD (Children and Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder) website (www.chaddmi.com), downloaded the schedule and laughed at what I found: not one, but two of Max’s therapists were speaking at the conference: Dr. S., who co-led the social language classes Max took last year, and Dr.I., Max’s current psychologist and the man to whom I owe my sanity.

I was interested in attending their panels but then thought better of it. What was I going to learn in a 90-minute lecture that I couldn’t (or hadn’t already) after a year – and thousands of dollars – of one-on-one therapy sessions? I love Dr. S. and Dr. I. but I already have their expertise on my speed-dial. So I checked off the little boxes of some other experts who were leading sessions I thought would be most helpful.

Is it weird that I feel like I’m cheating on them?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home