Between our two kids we've got apraxia of speech, sensory issues and attention deficit disorder with a side of anxiety, compulsive behaviors and, depending on the week, tics. Things may be complicated in our house but, hey, at least they're unpredictable.

Monday, September 12, 2005

Of Pudding and Prescriptions

You know you’re the parent of a special needs child when you willingly give him chocolate pudding for breakfast – and would do the same with a bowl of sugar -- because it’s the only way he can get his medicine down.

You also know you’re the parent of a special needs child when one of the “firsts” you celebrate is the first time he’s able to swallow a capsule.

I was thrilled the day Max was able, finally, to swallow a pill. He felt proud and victorious…and I looked forward to never again fighting with him because he could still see a granule from his capsule peeking out from under pudding or yogurt. One might think hiding medicine in food is a simple enough procedure. Those would be the people who never had to get prescription medication inside their own child.

Every morning I would gather my tools: cup of milk, yogurt or pudding, a single capsule, one small spoon, one baby spoon. And every morning I would put just enough yogurt on the spoon so the granules had something to cling to. Then, using a baby spoon, I would put a carefully measured amount of yogurt on top. Too much and Max would start screaming at me. Too little? Max would start screaming at me. I couldn’t stir the yogurt and medicine together because the granules would show and -- guess what -- Max would start screaming at me. I had to carefully layer – yogurt, medicine, yogurt – as if I was preparing a trifle for some new Food Network game show that challenged parents to come up with the best way to get medicine, vitamins, vegetables or anything other than French fries into their kids with minimal protesting. The winner would get the services of a professional chef in their home for a year.

He just better know how to make peanut butter sandwiches with the crust cut off.

3 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, September 14, 2005, Blogger Unknown said...

You say your son has ADD-I have ADHD, and was also diagnosed with Epilepsy, and am doing fine. Yogurt was my concealant choice as a child too. Your doing wonderful! I like your blog. Quite gregarious!

 
At 2:51 PM, September 15, 2005, Blogger Joshua said...

When I had to get my students at boyscout camp to take medicine, I would usually put it inside a slushie or a malted. Then I would make one for myself, and tell them I was going to race them to the bottom.

The race, good taste, and brain freeze meant I was NEVER asked about the medicine.

I am not sure how old your son is, but this sort of thing might work.

Joshua

 
At 3:00 PM, September 15, 2005, Blogger Debbie said...

Stephanie, As a parent of a child with ADD, it's always reassuring to hear from adults who share his diagnosis who are doing well. Thanks for sharing and for your kind words.

Joshua, I like your strategy! Thanks for sharing your lighthearted approach to a potentially significant problem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home