Between our two kids we've got apraxia of speech, sensory issues and attention deficit disorder with a side of anxiety, compulsive behaviors and, depending on the week, tics. Things may be complicated in our house but, hey, at least they're unpredictable.

Friday, April 21, 2006

Tics on TV

Although the Tenex has done a great job of calming Max’s tics, save for the occasional head shaking, I still thought it was important to have him watch an HBO special than ran some months ago called I Have Tourette’s But Tourette’s Doesn’t Have Me.

Dave was concerned about making Max aware of yet another label; I thought it was more important for him to see that there are other kids just like him.

So we sat down to watch it. I explained that the movements his body makes sometimes are called tics and that the kids in this show had tics, too. He watched, intently, and when he saw a kid make a movement with his arms he said, “Hey, he does what I do!” There was such excitement in his voice, such a positive feeling of identifying with another kid, that you would have thought his excitement was over finding a fellow Star Wars fan.

He wasn’t able to sit through the whole thing, but that’s OK. So many times he’s expressed that he’s the “worst first grader” in the whole school or “whoever made me this way is dumb.” He’s more and more aware of his differences and challenges and it upsets him. But in those few minutes of watching this show, he found camaraderie with the children on the TV screen. And, hopefully, a bit of self-acceptance.

3 Comments:

At 5:31 PM, July 14, 2006, Blogger Jessica said...

I hear you ;) My daughter is ADHD/ODD with a tic and is very aware also of how different she is from her classmates. We've tried hard to emphasize all her good differences (like being gifted, being artistic, etc.), but I worry sometimes whether it's enough to help.

 
At 5:38 AM, May 07, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I watched that same show with my fiance! He was amazed at how similar those children were to my daughter (he will be the step-dad). Anyway, we had tried every stimulant out there, but she was still very impulsive, defiant, and not doing well in school because of her attention problems. The last stimulant that she was on caused her to tic. She would sniff and then have to clear her throat constantly! At first, I didn't recognize it as a tic, and I thought she was doing it on purpose. Well, when it didn't go away, I knew what it was. She had had a severe tic about 4 months ago, which we had thought to be a seizure or something. She is now taking tenex, and let me tell you, it has made a world of difference! We can enjoy each other and I don't stress out trying to get her to do homework or switch from one thing to the next. I can totally relate to how you feel! I love my daughter VERY much, but it has always been a huge struggle to get her to do anything up to this point. She is much more confident in herself now as well. So, the behavior has changed dramatically. She still tics, but not as much as she used to.

 
At 8:04 PM, May 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw that show too!
I really feel sympathy when you say your son sometimes says, "Whoever made me this way is dumb!" I am 27 and have ADHD, possible Aspergers, anxiety and depression, and learning problems. Even as an adult, I have often had moments where I've said things just like that... "I hate being me! Why did I have to be born this way?" I think tis great you are showing him that there are other kids who have similar problems and that he's not just some sort of freak... as I often have felt I am!

- Angel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home