Between our two kids we've got apraxia of speech, sensory issues and attention deficit disorder with a side of anxiety, compulsive behaviors and, depending on the week, tics. Things may be complicated in our house but, hey, at least they're unpredictable.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Frustrations of a First Grader's Mom

I have always liked – really liked – Max’s first grade teacher. A few days before the first day of school back in the fall, I went to meet with Mrs. G., to fill her in on Max. Basically, I painted a worse case scenario.

Because Max’s IEP is only for speech, I wanted to make sure Mrs. G. was aware of Max’s other issues – ADHD, sensory issues, compulsive behaviors, occasional tics and a perfectionistic streak that often renders him incapable of doing his work – should the need arise for special accommodations to be made. I had no idea what – if anything – Max might need, as he did very well in kindergarten the year before. Max’s schedule then was three full days and two half days. And I could tell from the work he brought home from his morning class (perfect) and afternoon class (riddled with errors) that he ran out of steam toward the end of the day. Now that he was starting first grade, I wasn’t sure how five full days would affect him. And rather than wait for him to start struggling, I wanted to head it off at the pass.

She appreciated my honesty and I was grateful to have been so well received. She told me about some of the things she does in her class – for all the students – to help them do their best work: morning stretches, walks around the classroom between lessons and teaching the kids to use pressure points on their ears to “wake up their brains,” as Max would soon describe to me. I left this initial meeting feeling Max was in wonderful hands.

In all these months, whenever I had a concern that one of Max’s many “issues” were impacting him in the classroom, Mrs. G. simply attributed it to typical first grade stuff. When he tested far below the expected reading level, I explained that kids with apraxia may have trouble learning to read. She said there were other kids in the class who also needed help and she felt strongly that with extra help he would catch up. When I expressed my concern that the errors on Max’s math sheets were due not to a lack of understanding of the work but to his impulsivity and distractibility, she assured me that all the kids will accidentally add their numbers when the problem called for subtraction.

Mrs. G. never saw Max as anyone other than a typical first grader. He followed the rules. He did all his work. He behaved. There were other children in the class who required more attention – two of them, both non-communicative, shared a parapro. Another boy was always out of his seat and required constant redirection. Compared to these children, Max didn’t stand out. I thought this was a good thing.

Until today.

I went to talk with her about the whole sticker/lunch thing, as well as to discuss some ways we could Max more comfortable in the classroom since he had expressed that he becomes restless and agitated. (My words, not his.) When I told Mrs. G. that Max was distraught not to have had lunch with her she let me know that Max wasn’t the only one who earned the lunch but didn’t have it due to a missing sticker. She explained that from an administrative perspective, she couldn’t have a bunch of kids asking her to check her records to see if they had earned a sticker from previous weeks. OK, this I understand.

The lunch is really just an added bonus,” she said. “The real reward is the sticker the kids earn every Friday for showing good behavior all week.”

This I did not understand.

I told her that I was sure Max didn’t see it this way. And when I thought it over later, I felt even more strongly that this made no sense. The kids who behave, especially those for whom it comes easily, I’m sure, fully expect that sticker every Friday. I know I would have were it me. I’d be surprised not to get a sticker.
So of course the lunch is the reward.

She explained that she wanted to kids to learn how to be responsible for their papers and how to stay organized. I agreed these were worthy goals. But I reminded her of Max’s limitations in these areas – he has ADHD, after all. She still couldn’t see why he might need help managing his papers. And then, the clincher:

Well, I’m sure this will help Max try harder next time,” she said.

And this is when I burst into tears.

The only thing Max “learned” from this lesson was that he did the hard part – he kept his act together for ten weeks. He listened, he participated, he sat in his goddamn seat for far longer than any six year old should be expected to, let alone a child with ADHD, and yet, in the end, he was punished.

I felt like a fool for crying and Mrs. G. felt bad. But she still missed all the points I was trying to make.

Then we started talking about helping Max feel less fidgety. I told her I was going to bring in a seat cushion for him that’s designed to give a child sensory input just by moving around in his seat. She knew what I was talking about as the school had the same cushions for some of the other students. It seemed Mrs. G. understood the concept of sensory input and for this I was relieved. But not for long.

They also make these pencil toppers that are supposed to be for fidgeting,” I started to explain. And then I got a look that said, “Uh, I don’t think so.”

I’m sure she was concerned about it being a possible distraction for the other kids. But that’s not what she said. What she did say demonstrated to me that she did not in fact understand sensory input.

Well, I wouldn’t want Max to feel like he was being rewarded,” she said.

Her ignorance stabbed me in the gut.

I’m sure the way she perceived the idea of a fidget toy was that a child would take it out when he was having trouble doing his work and therefore was being “rewarded” for not completing a task. She didn’t understand that for a kid like Max, doing two sides of a math sheet in one sitting is too much. He can’t focus that long. He gets distracted. A fidget toy might actually keep him on track.

And to think I was going to suggest Max keep Starbursts in his desk. No way she would have gone for that.

In a way, I should consider myself lucky. Despite his quirks and challenges, Max has done very well in school. It took getting to the second half of first grade for us to come up against some issues that require our attention and possibly, some accommodations.

Unfortunately, we seem to have come up against a brick wall as well.

6 Comments:

At 2:38 PM, February 14, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
Good to "see" you around. I''m sad for all the stuff Max is dealing with in first grade. I've missed you. I feel very absent from the freelancing world. I'm in my last semester of finishing my MFA in writing for children and young adults. Email me sometime to catch up!
Hugs to you,
kellye

 
At 8:18 PM, March 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
I found your blog as I am a Matching Moms member and see that you are also in Michigan.
I have a son that is in 5th grade and has Aspergers. He also has/had apraxia.
Also ADHD is sometimes misdiagnosed when it really is Sensory Integration Dysfunction or it is also part of Autism.
I really think that you need to give Mrs. G some info on figet toys and how they help children focus better OR have another IEP meeting and put it in there that Max is to have figets at his desk...and then Mrs. G will have to let Max have them weather she wants him to or not.
I really am glad to see that you are advocating for son and sounds like you are doing a great job. Keep up the good work.
I could write so much more about my son but it would take up to much room.

 
At 8:33 PM, April 30, 2006, Blogger Scatteredmom said...

:( I would be very frustrated too. It took us until grade 5 to get any real accomodations for sensory issues for my son. I really, really hope that you can blow up that brick wall and get things moving!

Btw, I really like your blog. :) I am a blogging newbie myself.

 
At 1:35 PM, August 20, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am new to this...so please bear with me. I have a son diagnosed with ADHD and he has some problems hearing me when I talk to him and focusing during the day when the teacher is talking during class. He's in a private school and the teacher really doesn't have any experience with specific accomidations for children and I've always tried to let him be a normal child. I read your blog about a figet thing that they have to help them keep on task. How do you monitor your child to use it appropreately instead of just playing with it? My son often makes toys out of anything and then I end up with all of these gadgets in his bag at the end of the day and often my husband gets very frustrated with this and says we're paying for him to "make toys" instead of learn. I guess my question basically is how do you deal? My son's had this since he was 6 or 7 years old and I'm having problems on how to educate my husband as we're newly married. And generally to have someone else to talk to about all of this because honestly it gets to me some days. It would be nice to have someone that understands to talk with.

 
At 6:55 PM, August 20, 2008, Blogger Debbie said...

Hi anonymous,

You pose a good question about knowing whether a child is using a fidget appropriately or whether they're just goofing around. This is where you'll need your son's teacher to get on board. If you suspect he's just goofing around with them, the teacher can hold onto them and give him one when he'll need to concentrate on something.

Is she using a microphone at all? Lots of kids with ADHD as well as auditory processing disorders require amplification in the classroom to help them focus. Does your son have an IEP? This would help to ensure that he's getting the appropriate accommodations. It will become your job to educate his teachers along the way.

There's a great book by Martin Kutscher called ADHD Right Now. I love it because it's very thorough, yet very brief. It's the perfect book to have someone who isn't familiar with ADHD read. You could copy the appropriate passages and give them to your husband and son's teacher.

It is challenging enough living with a child with ADHD. It's harder if you're the only one who "gets" it and is doing all the work in terms of working with him. If your husband is concerned that he's making toys, let him know that many people with ADHD are better able to focus on something if they have another task to perform. (Think about how many of us doodle when talking on the phone. It's the same thing.)

Are you working with a child psychologist? Ask him/her for suggestions that will help your son to succeed in school. Have him/her write a letter you can give to your son's teacher. I've found it's best to be open with the teacher and to educate when necessary. She'll appreciate knowing the best way to teach your son.

Let us know how things go.

Best,

Debbie

 
At 8:28 AM, June 19, 2009, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you need to hold an IEP meeting ASAP to expand the IEP to more than speech.
have his doctor/psychologist write in detail about his diagnosis and its impact in school. Ask for Other Health Impaired as the category as its more broad. Ask for OT to help with hand writing (get letter stating delays in fine motor and eye muscle coordination training both things OT does)
get him placed into inclusion as then you have a special ed teacher with more training to help. If necessary ask for contained setting. look at internet for suggestions there is multiple websites related to IEP suggestions and laws in your state re IEP.\
If necessary hire an Advocate to help you. Good luck
PS be a PIT BULL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home