Between our two kids we've got apraxia of speech, sensory issues and attention deficit disorder with a side of anxiety, compulsive behaviors and, depending on the week, tics. Things may be complicated in our house but, hey, at least they're unpredictable.

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Aftermath of the Storm

I don’t know which was worse.

The venom-spewing, arm-flailing, world-class tantrum Max threw the other day, complete with destruction of property, threats of violence, and an attitude so big I don’t know how it fits inside his eight-year-old body. Or, the sobbing wreck of a child who sought me later on, uttering apologies and hugging me tightly, as if holding onto me were an attempt to hold on to himself.

“I’m a monster,” he said. “I’m a terrible kid.”

It’s one thing for a parent to think their child is a monster after a particularly bad moment—show me a parent who has never thought this and I’ll show you a parent who is lying—it’s quite another when the thoughts are coming from your own child. When I have those thoughts, they are fleeting. They blow over as soon as Max’s tantrum does.

But when Max has those thoughts, I worry about them taking root. Becoming permanent residents—unwelcome guests--within a brain already plagued by impulsivity and compulsiveness. There’s no room at the inn for self-doubt and low self-esteem, too.

I try, in vain, to explain to Max the difference between being “a bad kid” and making a bad choice. But no rationalization, no soothing, nothing I do convinces him that he really is a good kid. A good kid with a neurologically atypical brain.

We cuddle in my bed as I rub his back and offer reassurances I fear will be forgotten the next time a storm comes around. Max falls asleep, and I know tomorrow he will wake up refreshed and happy, without a hint of the self-loathing he demonstrated tonight.

Much as I hate his outbursts, it’s a piece of cake to listen to Max call me names compared to hearing the horrible things he says about himself.

4 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, November 20, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

OMG!!! I have an 11 year old with ADD, CAPD, SID and many other undiagnosed issues as well as one autisctic child who will be 3. How do we as parents with special kids deal with our children's low thinking of themselves on top of trying to help them cope with issues that they have been given?

 
At 7:38 AM, September 01, 2008, Blogger mommy~dearest said...

Hi there! I just found your blog, and wanted to say that I totally agree. My son is six (going on seven), and carries diagnoses of ASD and Tourette Syndrome.

It is difficult to watch your child do such hurtful things, but the real heartbreak is the aftermath. When their self-esteem is affected, and they feel like they are just terrible children.

As a parent, you want to teach them the coping skills necessary to deal witht he inner anxieties which cause the meltdowns, but at least with my son, the processing isn't developed enough to quite understand how to apply those coping skills.

Okay- I'm going to go check out the rest of your blog now! :)

 
At 8:13 PM, December 03, 2010, Blogger Emily F. said...

Boy, we had the same experience the other night. My 9 year old with PDD, NOS and AD/HD just totally, completely lost it two nights ago when we took away a privilege due to poor bedtime behavior. He started throwing things, knocking over shelves and screaming about how much we hated him and how mean we were to him. One hour later when the fire finally calmed in him and he was sitting calmly in my husband's lap, he asked for his "dockey" (his beloved blanket) and then his face crumpled and he dissolved into sobs saying how terrible it was for him when we were so mad at him, what a bad kid he was, etc. It was heartbreaking.

In hind sight we realized that we should have known that there was no way he was going to be able to handle losing a privilege he cared about so much at bedtime...he was just too tired. We painted ourselves into a corner. Live and learn.

 
At 1:04 PM, February 05, 2011, Blogger father of many said...

We are the parents of two boys with Autism diagnosis, and another child with obsessive compulsive, oppositional defiant, adhd, and pediatric bipolar disorders. We suspect other disorders, such as Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, Reactive Attachment Disorder and possible Autism. Our youngest child with the alphabet of diagnosis, regularly has episodes of behavior that equate to a total meltdown. He vacates, his pupils dilate, and he attacks anyone near him. After two years of fighting the school we finally got an IEP.

There are others who understand your perspective.

My blog is:
http://ndfatheroffive.blogspot.com

Keep your chin up. See the ability in your childs disability.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home