Between our two kids we've got apraxia of speech, sensory issues and attention deficit disorder with a side of anxiety, compulsive behaviors and, depending on the week, tics. Things may be complicated in our house but, hey, at least they're unpredictable.

Monday, December 19, 2005

A Blockbuster Idea

Just when I thought I could no longer be shocked by Max’s behavior he goes ahead and does something I never could have expected:

He organized our DVD collection.

I don’t know what possessed him, although I was impressed not only by his initiative but by his desire to actually organize something. Anything.

He pulled all the DVDs off of the tower and got started. Had I been the one to tackle the job I might have broken down the categories by Disney animation, live action, TV characters. Or I would have gone alphabetical. Max went with a different approach.

He started with the pirate category. An obvious choice given that eleven of our DVDs met this criteria. (If you don’t believe there are eleven pirate movies for kids, drop me an email and I’ll send you a list.)

In his animal section he put Finding Nemo, Stuart Little and Madagascar, among others. Shrek, Monsters, Inc and a couple of Elmo videos formed the creature collective. The hero section included Mulan, Rescue Heroes and Sky High while the spy section featured The Iron Giant, Spy Kids and The Incredibles. Why The Incredibles were considered spies and not heroes is beyond my 38-year-old imagination. It made sense to Max. Last came the princess section, otherwise known as all the stuff Ari loves but Max hates – Cinderella (I and II) and a couple of Barbie movies.

I don’t know how long his system will keep. I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before someone goofs up and accidentally puts Lilo and Stitch in the creature section rather than it’s current location with the spy movies.

Like many films, it’s open to interpretation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home