Between our two kids we've got apraxia of speech, sensory issues and attention deficit disorder with a side of anxiety, compulsive behaviors and, depending on the week, tics. Things may be complicated in our house but, hey, at least they're unpredictable.

Saturday, November 19, 2005

From Just a Few Words...to a Whole Book

It goes without saying that the best thing about having two children in speech therapy is seeing their progress. From watching Max go from a child so frustrated he would smash his head against a wall to a first grader with a vocabulary that reflects far more than his six years. From listening to Ari count before she could speak -- “uh, ooh, eee, awr” – to having her pre-k teacher tell us she’s ready to learn how to read.

The other good thing about having kids with speech problems? Being able to help other parents who are going through the same experience. I’ve always done that on a small scale – recommending speech and OT facilities, encouraging parents to push for more services from the school, helping with letters to insurance companies. But now I have the opportunity to help far more people.

With a book.

I’m thrilled to share that I’ve been given the opportunity to write a book on speech and language disorders for a major publisher. It will be what’s known as a prescriptive book – a how-to for parents who suspect, or have been told, that their child has a speech problem. I’ve been immersed in the world of speech disorders for close to four years now, so needless to say I feel very passionate about this project.

I’ll be working on the book for the next year or so, and I’ll be looking to talk with both families and speech professionals who can share their experiences with me. If you would be interested in talking with me, or know someone else who might, please contact me at debbiefeit@yahoo.com.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home