Between our two kids we've got apraxia of speech, sensory issues and attention deficit disorder with a side of anxiety, compulsive behaviors and, depending on the week, tics. Things may be complicated in our house but, hey, at least they're unpredictable.

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Road To Nowhere?

It’s been 23 days since Max was on his prescription stimulant and the past three have me wondering if that’s the reason behind his unacceptable behavior.

In the last three days, Max has bit Dave, spit on Ari and peed on the floor. Twice.

This, of course, is in addition to the daily usual suspects – talking back, unacceptable language, hitting and teasing Ari, among others.

On our first “bad day,” I simply chalked it up to the fact that everyone is entitled to an off day – even those whose moods are being moderated by little pills. Day two, I considered Max on notice. At least to myself. But after today, the day that involved offenses by two different bodily functions, I had to wonder if this was simply a rough patch in the road or the path to downhill fast.

Honestly, I have spent the past three weeks singing the praises of fish oil. The essential fatty acids, to my surprise and joy, have been doing a great job managing Max’s ADD. I would go so far as to say they’ve done a better job alone than they did in conjunction with the prescription medication.

It’s not that I wasn’t a believer in this natural approach. I’ve heard enough anecdotal evidence to know it’s valid. It’s just that I’ve always also been a believer in pharmaceuticals. I speak from personal experience, which is more than Tom Cruise can say. (Don’t. Get. Me. Started.)

But it’s hard to know where to attribute all the credit. I imagine part of it is the fish oil itself. Another piece of the equation is the fact that with Max no longer on a stimulant, he is eating better, sleeping better and sleeping longer. That improved quality of his sleep contributes not only to his improved disposition, but to mine as well. I also think, or would like to think, that another factor is the way we’re handling Max’s behaviors. His therapist has given us wonderful tools, but without the benefit of medication, Max simply wasn’t receptive to any of them. Once he became more compliant, less defiant and better focused, we were able to put some systems in place to effectively manage his behavior.

Is it time to call the pharmacy for a refill? I honestly don’t know. This certainly isn’t our first setback. It’s not the first time I’ve relished Max’s successes, admired major improvements and started to feel that everything was going to be all right.

And it’s not the first time my peaceful drive down a smooth road came to a crashing halt because I was blindsided by something I didn’t expect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home