Between our two kids we've got apraxia of speech, sensory issues and attention deficit disorder with a side of anxiety, compulsive behaviors and, depending on the week, tics. Things may be complicated in our house but, hey, at least they're unpredictable.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Lice of Passage

Parents of special needs kids really only want one thing – that our kids be treated the same as anyone else.

And when the school office calls to tell you your kid has lice, you know he is, in fact, just like anyone else.

I spent most of today performing microsurgery – pulling out nits and lice from Max’s hair – while he sat in front of the TV. He was very patient throughout it all, despite getting antsy and needing to take breaks from sitting. Locating these buggers is pretty tough as it is; the process is made even harder when you’re removing them from a kid who has trouble sitting still.

I couldn’t help but wonder how much more difficult this whole experience might have been a few years back when Max’s sensory issues were more significant. I suspect he would have had trouble handling the sensation of the lice shampoo sitting on his head for ten minutes and the smell of the tea tree oil and eucalyptus I’ve been adding to his regular shampoo. When I think about the home remedy of putting mayonnaise on your scalp it’s enough to make me squirm.

But Max has been handling it like a real trooper. He’s been very cooperative. I chalk it up to his improved sensory input thanks to past occupational therapy, his increased flexibility and more even moods to the fish oil he’s taking (not to mention the help of Dr. I. that I’ve been taking) and his better understanding of things thanks simply to maturity.

But I’m sure his special all-access pass to our candy drawer might have something to do with it as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home