Between our two kids we've got apraxia of speech, sensory issues and attention deficit disorder with a side of anxiety, compulsive behaviors and, depending on the week, tics. Things may be complicated in our house but, hey, at least they're unpredictable.

Monday, October 03, 2005

Dora's Not a Swinger

Having arrived a few minutes early for Ari's speech therapy -- a rare occurrence, I assure you -- we take seats in the waiting room. Ari wanders over to the toy area and returns with a Dora doll and a Tarzan action figure. "You be Tarzan, I be Dora," she commands and places the toy in my hand. I initiate a conversation with Dora:

Me: Hi Dora. Want to come to the jungle with me?
Ari: No. I live in a different movie.

For a kid who claims to be Ariel one day and Sleeping Beauty the next, I was surprised by her inflexibility. Amused -- but surprised.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home